Friday, May 27, 2016

THaIBreaK 2016 - Koh Mak

After about 10 days spent in Koh Kood in March 2016, I was getting the urge to get something more than just nature, sunsets and landscapes, something that would spice up my nights! ;-) By pure coincidence, I met a German friend of mine in the usual Jong Jong reggae bar where I used to go every night and he told me that on the island next door (less than a hour by speed boat from Koh Kood) the super famous, at least in Germany, Thaibreak was happening as we spoke.

I got interested and learnt more: basically, the Thaibreak is a 15 days Techno Festival organized by German worldwide famous DJs on remote Thai islands. This event is 17 years old and the best thing is that only few people really know about it worldwide. Indeed, this year there were only 200 tickets available, almost the same number of accommodations available in Koh Mak, cute, small, tiny island. People - mostly from Germany - buy the complete package (including flight, accommodation, local transportation and entrance to the parties) and get to party for 15 days in a row.

Being myself a Techno-lover, I immediately decided that the next day I was going to leave my beloved Koh Kood and get my ass to Koh Mak, to finally shake it a bit ;-)

I arrived in Koh Mak and my first thought was if I would be able to get myself a place to stay, as the entire island seemed booked by party animals. 200 people for an entire island are not much, but Koh Mak is really small, so chances to sleep under the moon seemed big. Thankfully, I found a hut close to the main beach, where also the majority of the parties were happening, and well, it was not the most luxurious but still okay - apart the cockroach that decided to sleep with me the last night of my trip.

My hut in Koh Mak

I was able to buy single entrance tickets for the parties I decided to attend, one of these being organized on an atoll called Koh Rayang, where you only had a DJ playing, people dancing, beach, sea and palm trees - AMAZING.

Italian badass enjoying the party

Thai badass enjoying the party


What can I say, the festival was really nice, I met people mostly interested in Techno music and boozes, and definitely listened to great music - my favorite DJ was Kerstin Eden, this girl does magic at the mixer!

Apart from the festival, I do not advise people to stay in Koh Mak, there is really nothing to do, only 2 beaches, some cheap huts and some expensive resorts. It is worth a day trip from Koh Kood though.

Main beach in Koh Mak
Advises: from the main beach take a kayak to the small island in front, you will find crystal clear waters, the best I have seen this year in Thailand :-)

Safe trips!

Love,

Gaia

 

No comments:

Post a Comment