Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Unplanned things are always the best!

Singapore was not even among my destinations. Then 2 crazy friends of mine proposed to have a "girls get away weekend" right there so I decided to fly from Cambodia and meet them. One of them was coming from South Korea and the craziest one just flew from Slovakia for the long weekend. That's the reason why I love my friends and travelers in general :o)
I didn't like Singapore very much and to be honest I already knew it before even going there. Too many skyscrapers, too much organization, too many crazy laws, too clean, too western and too expensive for my taste!
It was lovely spending time with my friends and couch-surf for 3 nights at Scott's, an American guy living in Singapore with a huge house in a huge condo with a huge swimming pool :o) We had our very own room - which is a luxury - and he brought us around showing us how life for people living in Singapore really is. Nothing special, in my opinion. The only thing that I enjoyed in Singapore were the roof top bars, the skyline of the city is really nice to see. But that's about it.
I  do believe I have a guardian angel next to me and I truly love him (I like to think he's a "he" - :o)
As soon as I landed in Singapore I only had Scott's address but no real clue about how to get to his place. While I was waiting for one of my friends to land, I started a conversation with a guy working at the airport and in no time he was giving me and my friend a free ride around the town, explaining us about Singapore, its people and its history and he even brought us where we were meant to be. Later he sent us a text saying that he felt lots of positive vibes in the few moments the three of us spent together and so did we! It's amazing how nice people can be and the more I travel the more I find this to be true. People do nice things to others just for the pleasure of doing it, without asking for anything in return - this is the real richness. In Singapore I also met an ex-colleague of mine who resigned from Belgium to move there, it was good to see that he didn't regret his choice for one second and was enjoying his life in that city. I love knowing people all over the world and managing to meet them when possible, it's nice to keep contacts and exchange experiences and emotions. Nothing much to add about Singapore, I wouldn't advise people to go there.

Skyline in Singapore
Once I was in Singapore anyways, I decided to visit Malaysia as well (also not among my initial destinations). I took a bus which brought me to Melaka, ex Dutch colony and UNESCO world heritage. Melaka will stay for long time in my heart, not only because the city is lovely but also because I met someone that somehow changed my trip from what had been so far, and my thoughts. In this case I hated the fact that everything is so temporary when you travel, I would have liked to stop the time right there if I had the power to do so. Sometimes you just feel you should get to know people better and time in this case was not my friend. It is the way it is, so one just needs to embrace the fact and move forward. And so did I, all the way up to the north-west coast of Malaysia until Penang and Langkawi. This last island was a paradise, I arrived when the season hadn't started yet and enjoyed waterfalls, landscapes, deserted beaches and great company! I was staying in a hostel on the beach and met so many nice people there. I think people are also the reason why I really did love Malaysia. And the food. Oh yes, food in Malaysia was just delicious, especially Indian food and street food, I just couldn't have enough! I definitely would like to go back to Malaysia and travel on the east coast and its islands. They are supposed to be great too. As time flies when you are having fun, soon enough was already time for me to move to the next country: Vietnam!

Lankawi's waterfall
Lankawi's waterfall
Lankawi's main beach

No comments:

Post a Comment